Living in Hawaii has truly been an adventure and an unforgettable experience. A very wise and beautiful friend of mine passed along some very valuable advice before I moved here and it's helped put this whole experience in perspective for me. Do you want to know what this lovely friend of mine said? ... "You will be living in paradise, absolute paradise... but everyday won't be paradise. You will have crappy days in paradise and you will want to throw in the towel and go home. Just remember what a blessing it is to be living where you will be and that will be enough to help you make it to a better and happier day". It's hard to tell people at home that you are having a bad day or a couple bad days because you know they'll just say "well you live in the 808, how could it be that bad? Or... "no such thing as a bad time in HI" I think for me, it's hard because everyone knew how high of expectations I had when moving here. It was an enormous dream that I honestly thought would never come true. And here I am sitting on my bed, in a dirty apartment, the beach across the street, the sun shining (or not-it seems it only rains here lately) feeling homesicky and sad. I LIVE IN HAWAII. There is no way there are crappy days when you live in Hawaii. False. I am here to tell you, it's true. School, dating, social life, the church, life in Hawaii is all pretty similar to what it's like at home. Just a change a scenery, the climate and weather, and recreational activities are hugely different. I can't really complain about that one-- I love living across the street from the beach and the average 76 degree weather. So.... my point in telling you my sad sob story about how sad I've been since I've moved here? I really haven't been sad the ENTIRE time I've been here, I've been quite happy and pretty stoked about everything I get to do while I'm here. BUT BUT BUT. To-day.
Today was just an ordinary thursday, I have to wake up an extra 30 minutes earlier than I normally do-- I can't seem to figure out why this seems to be SO hard. It completely baffles me. Anyway, wake up (a little later than normal) shower, get ready quickly because I am running late yet again, and I hate walking into my religion class late... happens every. time. I think I'm finished getting ready grab my bag and my cinnamon raisin bagel with plain cream cheese and skip out the door. Turns out trying to eat a bagel and walk with lots o wind doesn't go well. Well some kind little man, whose English wasn't in tippy top shape, driving around in a BYU-H van stopped and offered me a ride to school. I normally wouldn't have accepted the ride from a stranger, but come on people, the van said BYU-H. How could I say no? We stopped to pick up a few other stragglers trying to get to class on time and lucky me, I was 7 WHOLE minutes early. I was feelin' good. However, the little man offering me a ride to school wasn't the first good thing that happened to me today. I knew the second I woke up and saw the sun shining outside my window that today was going to be a good day. Thank HEAVENS for the sunshine. I have been hibernating inside lately to stay out of the torrential, flooding, drenching, anything else that means being soaked anytime you are outside for longer that 0.5 seconds, rains. The sun is a friend who I will always praise and love. Forever. Now, remember how I mentioned earlier that I thought I was finished getting ready for school...? Yes well I'm sitting in my Book of Mormon class when I think to myself "Danielle, why did you not finished putting on your makeup today?" My hand flew directly to my eyelashes to which I was surprised to find that I had somehow forgotten to put on my mascara. Makeup is NOT big deal to me, but I do like to look semi decent when I leave the house. Well I just looked like I had rolled out of bed before I came to school today. NBD. Okay I'm being too descriptive of my day, just know for the rest of my day things continually happened helped the happiness to keep rolling. It was a great feeling. I was sitting in the library attempting some homework, I turned on some Adele Pandora ( just a little fyi- I am a loyal pandora user, I don't see what everyone else loves about all those new streaming music dealios. I'm stickin with Pandora for life. It does my heart good.) While listening to some very great tunage I pulled up my homework and just stared at it. Probably for a good two minutes. Then I picked up my phone, texted a few people, checked my email, looked back at my homework, responded to a few texts.. etc. Ha. When all of the sudden I had the strongest urge to just stand up and start dancing and singing to my music. If you don't understand the feeling, it's a great one, and a very entertaining thought to play around with. Just imagine the looks of all of the studiers in the Library. Absolutely priceless. As much as I wanted to do it, I didn't. I'm afraid my self conscious and pride get the best of me 98% of the time. I knew I was happy though. It was a good sign. Throughout the rest of my day little things like that encouraged my cheery attitude and on my walk home I thought, "this day would be just exceptional if there is a letter waiting for me when I get home." GUESS WHAT?!? After I had so selflessly cleaned out the fridge of old moldy food-- none of it was mine-- and tidied the kitchen for the umpteenth time this week, my roommate told me I had some mail sitting on the table. True testament to an exceptional day. I have THE best family in the world, just in case anyone was wondering. I had the cutest little St. Patrick's Day card from my Grandma with some cash-ola to keep me fed for the next few weeks. I couldn't be more grateful for a family that loves me and takes care of me from thousands of miles away.
Living in Hawaii is an adventure. I think I am kinda loving all of the experiences, good & bad, that I am having. I know I'm learning and I am sure as heck trying to get tan tan tan. :) Maybe I'll share some of them in the near future. I forget how much I like blogging. 5 weeks left!
Props to my girls Tracy and Chelsea for letting me tag along on Beach Friday's!!
Ciao!
D
Today was just an ordinary thursday, I have to wake up an extra 30 minutes earlier than I normally do-- I can't seem to figure out why this seems to be SO hard. It completely baffles me. Anyway, wake up (a little later than normal) shower, get ready quickly because I am running late yet again, and I hate walking into my religion class late... happens every. time. I think I'm finished getting ready grab my bag and my cinnamon raisin bagel with plain cream cheese and skip out the door. Turns out trying to eat a bagel and walk with lots o wind doesn't go well. Well some kind little man, whose English wasn't in tippy top shape, driving around in a BYU-H van stopped and offered me a ride to school. I normally wouldn't have accepted the ride from a stranger, but come on people, the van said BYU-H. How could I say no? We stopped to pick up a few other stragglers trying to get to class on time and lucky me, I was 7 WHOLE minutes early. I was feelin' good. However, the little man offering me a ride to school wasn't the first good thing that happened to me today. I knew the second I woke up and saw the sun shining outside my window that today was going to be a good day. Thank HEAVENS for the sunshine. I have been hibernating inside lately to stay out of the torrential, flooding, drenching, anything else that means being soaked anytime you are outside for longer that 0.5 seconds, rains. The sun is a friend who I will always praise and love. Forever. Now, remember how I mentioned earlier that I thought I was finished getting ready for school...? Yes well I'm sitting in my Book of Mormon class when I think to myself "Danielle, why did you not finished putting on your makeup today?" My hand flew directly to my eyelashes to which I was surprised to find that I had somehow forgotten to put on my mascara. Makeup is NOT big deal to me, but I do like to look semi decent when I leave the house. Well I just looked like I had rolled out of bed before I came to school today. NBD. Okay I'm being too descriptive of my day, just know for the rest of my day things continually happened helped the happiness to keep rolling. It was a great feeling. I was sitting in the library attempting some homework, I turned on some Adele Pandora ( just a little fyi- I am a loyal pandora user, I don't see what everyone else loves about all those new streaming music dealios. I'm stickin with Pandora for life. It does my heart good.) While listening to some very great tunage I pulled up my homework and just stared at it. Probably for a good two minutes. Then I picked up my phone, texted a few people, checked my email, looked back at my homework, responded to a few texts.. etc. Ha. When all of the sudden I had the strongest urge to just stand up and start dancing and singing to my music. If you don't understand the feeling, it's a great one, and a very entertaining thought to play around with. Just imagine the looks of all of the studiers in the Library. Absolutely priceless. As much as I wanted to do it, I didn't. I'm afraid my self conscious and pride get the best of me 98% of the time. I knew I was happy though. It was a good sign. Throughout the rest of my day little things like that encouraged my cheery attitude and on my walk home I thought, "this day would be just exceptional if there is a letter waiting for me when I get home." GUESS WHAT?!? After I had so selflessly cleaned out the fridge of old moldy food-- none of it was mine-- and tidied the kitchen for the umpteenth time this week, my roommate told me I had some mail sitting on the table. True testament to an exceptional day. I have THE best family in the world, just in case anyone was wondering. I had the cutest little St. Patrick's Day card from my Grandma with some cash-ola to keep me fed for the next few weeks. I couldn't be more grateful for a family that loves me and takes care of me from thousands of miles away.
Living in Hawaii is an adventure. I think I am kinda loving all of the experiences, good & bad, that I am having. I know I'm learning and I am sure as heck trying to get tan tan tan. :) Maybe I'll share some of them in the near future. I forget how much I like blogging. 5 weeks left!
Props to my girls Tracy and Chelsea for letting me tag along on Beach Friday's!!
Ciao!
D
No comments:
Post a Comment